View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kazairl

re: Star Citizen - Regional Servers

I found this in the "Ask the Devs" section of the SC forums today.

Posted: 10:18pm Jan 16, 2014

Will regional servers be rolled out prior to dogfight module release?

With the stretch goal for these serves well past now, is it possible to get some sort of time frame of when they will be rolled out please?
I ask this because, when the dogfighting module comes out, People that are in the countries that need these servers (I am in Australia) potentially will NOT be able to even 'TEST' their games due to high pings.
I have a ping of 209ms to AustinTX and can download at 2.37 Mbps (this includes 4GB patches so you can imagine why it can take nearly a day for some of us as my friend and fellow Star Citizen from Australia has a ping of 462 to Ausitn TX and can take him nearly all day to download a patch) So we will then log in to the game to attempt to play / test the dogfighting module and will not be able to do a darned thing because of how high our ping is without APAC servers.

Yes, nearly all providers for these kinds of large scale hosting services have datacenters internationally on which you can run your servers. So we plan on rolling out server clusters in multiple overseas locations around the world. A big push for us has been developing the architecture for having multiple regional servers that all collaborate with one another and report to a master persistence/game server that also interfaces with the web servers and clients which are hosted on their own regional clusters.

Cheers,
Travis

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: